Multipurpose Rugby / Soccer field
Cafeteria (The Cafeteria is privatised. A variety of healthy foodstuffs are sold during breaks and on sport days)
Learners like to buy foods at school, and tuck shops give them easy access to the foods and beverages as their lunch. Too often the choice available in school tuck shops offers little or no nutritional value, such as potato chips, candy, soft drinks and chocolate bars. Selling nutritionally poor foods and drinks in the school tuck shop does not support the healthy eating lessons the learners learn in the classroom. This sends a contradictory massage to learners that the school does not practice what it teaches and it does not let learners apply what they have learned.
What is a healthy tuck shop?
A Healthy tuck shop is one that emphasizes foods and beverages with maximum nutritional value (e.g., 80 per cent of the foods available are food with maximum nutritional value) and offers no foods or beverages with minimum nutritional value.
A healthy tuck shop allows the learners to buy a range of foods and beverages that they enjoy while, at the same time, encouraging healthy choices. Children can’t buy good nutrition if you don’t sell it.
Benefits of a healthy tuck shop
A healthy tuck shop:
- Reinforces the classrooms healthy eating education
- Promotes healthy eating and drinking habits
- Provides learners with a healthy source of energy and nutrients during the busy school day
- Increases the variety of food and beverage available at school
- Link to the whole school approach to creating a healthy school nutrition environment
- Shows parents and the local community that the school takes the health of its learners seriously